International Trade Export Import Procedures
After 16 years, Japan has lifted ban and allowed the import of Pakistani mangoes if the fruits undergo "Vapor Heat Treatment (VHT)" before being exported to Japan.
Pakistan will take the following steps to ensure trouble-free export of mangoes:
- Pesticide residue levels within the prescribed limits.
- Introduction of Traceability and maintenance of records will be done since there are no available records related to the farm and mango market because of the lack of knowledge of people. These records are essentials for mango exports in USA and Europe.
- Mandatory to follow the "international safety standard (along with good practices)" by the packing houses
- Implementation of post-harvest treatment for mango exports.
- Providing training to the mango growers in modern production practices.
- Implementation of Sanitary & Phyto Sanitary Measures i.e. measures pertaining to human, animal and plant safety.
The VHT uses hot saturated water vapors to heat the fruit slowly, treating possible fruit flies.
In 1999, Pakistan received a VHT plant from Japan for trials and experiments which it can use now after getting clearance for trial. The Trade Development Authority of Pakistan (TDAP) and Pakistan Horticulture Development & Export Company (PHDEC) will start 'VHT' trial when the Japanese inspectors will come to inspect and test the facility in June 2011 before Pakistani mangoes are being exported to Japan. They will investigate, and give recommendations.
Pakistani mangoes are world renowned because their unique taste and smell and best in quality.
Pakistan expects that this move will open up trade avenues for other fruits also.
The Embassy of Pakistan in Japan will be in-charge of marketing and distributing the mangoes.
Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures - The Agreement on the Application of Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures - also known as the SPS Agreement is an international treaty of the World Trade Organization. It was negotiated during the Uruguay Round of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade, and entered into force with the establishment of the WTO at the beginning of 1995.