Global Economy Indian Economy
The biotech sector in India is among the fast growing knowledge based sectors with India emerging as a biotechnology hub in the recent times. The Indian biotech sector stands 4th in terms of volume and 13th in terms of value. This sector is expected to play a key role in the new economy. India has many comparative advantages in terms of knowledge, skills, R&D facilities and costs in the sector. The institutional infrastructure in the country provides the basic foundation for these strengths to translate into business opportunities.
India has a promising potential to be a global player in the arena of Biotechnology owing to a large pool of skilled and cost competitive manpower, well developed and integrated scientific infrastructure, advanced chemical synthesis technologies, manufacturing practices conforming to US and EU norms, diverse biological resources and, being globally recognized as a producer of low cost, high quality bulk drugs and formulations.
Overview of biotech companies
- The Top 5 biotech companies accounted for 38.79 percent of the total biotech business of Rs 6,521 crore.
- Top 10 biotech companies in the country accounted for 50.9 percent of the total biotech business.
- The Top 20 biotech companies in 2005-06 accounted for 61.9 percent of the total business.
- The Top 35 biotech companies contributed for 69.07 percent of the total business.
- The Top 10 homegrown companies accounted for 46.47 percent of the market share.
- The Top 20 homegrown companies contributed 48.45 percent of the total biotech business.
|Biotech Industry Revenue(2005-06)|
|SEGMENT||Revenue(Rs Crores)||Growth (%)||Percentage share of Sub sectors to total share( %)|
|Bio Pharma (Vaccines, Therapeutics, Diagnostics).||4,708
| Bio Services
|Bio informatics|| 120
|Source : Association of Biotechnology Led Enterprises Exports|
|Segment's share of Exports ( 2005-06)
||Exports(Rs. Crores)||Exports (% share)||Domestic ( Rs. Crores)||Domestic (% Share)||Segment Sales|